This is the full Catechism of the Madrians. Those few questions which do not apply to the Janite Tradition have been deleted without re-arranging the numerical order of the text.
Question 122 along with notes in parentheses, have been added by the Janites. We have also rendered the more primitive ‘goddess’ into ‘Dea’ and ‘creature’ into ‘being’.
I. THE ORIGIN OF THE SOUL
1. From whence do you come and where is your first origin?
I was created from before the beginning of time by Dea out of the overflowing of Her divine love.
2. What manner of creature are you?
I am the reflection of a fragment of Her eternal Spirit.
3. What have been your actions since the beginning of time?
I have passed through many states of existence and many forms of life (although I can remember but a little).
4. How came you upon this wheel of countless existences?
In the beginning, my soul turned from the love of Dea and so fell into exile from her (the soul’s) natural state.
5. What is the natural state of your soul?
The natural state of my soul is Perfect Union with Dea, which is the state of pure delight.
6. What is the first cause of existence?
Dea is the first cause of existence, for She created the manifest universe.
7. Who is Dea?
Dea is the One Spirit of the universe, complete in Herself, uncreated, and infinite in potency, perception and perfection.
8. What is the Mystery of the Divine Trinity?
That there is only one Dea, yet She is three Persons. (Dea is One and Three and Seven.)
9. What is a Mystery?
A Mystery is a truth beyond the grasp of reason which Dea has nonetheless revealed to us.
10. Who are the three Persons of the Trinity?
Our Celestial Mother, Her Divine Daughter, and the Dark ( or Great) Mother who is Absolute Deity.
11. Who is our Celestial Mother?
The Mother is the Creator of the world and the Ground of all being.
12. What is Her Nature?
She is Pure Light, and Pure Energy. *
13. What are Her Acts?
All life, all action, and all thought flow from Her.
14. Who is Her Daughter?
Her Daughter is Princess of the World, (Daughter of Wisdom), Priestess of the World and Queen of Heaven.
15. What is Her Nature?
She is Pure Love.
16. What are Her Acts?
As Princess of the World, She governs all the cycles of life and nature; as High Priestess, She gives us Communion with Her Mother; as Queen of Heaven, She shall bring us at last to the Celestial Throne, (as Daughter of Wisdom, She guides us in all Truth.) (The title of Daughter of Wisdom is to be found in our scriptures, The Mythos of the Holy Daughter, Chapter II, verse 27. It is especially important to Janites as Zoe Sophia is the Daughter of Wisdom.)
17. Who is the Dark (Great) Mother?
She is Absolute Deity, Who existed before the beginning of existence and is beyond being and unbeing.
18. What is Her Nature?
She is outside space and time; She is all that is and all that is not.
19. What are Her Acts?
The exhalation of Her breath or Spirit is our Mother, the Creator of the world. Of Her other Acts, our minds cannot conceive.
20. Does Trinity last only for the period of manifest creation?
No, Trinity is the eternal Nature of Deity.
21. Had Dea any beginning?
Dea had no beginning and will have no end.
22. When did Dea create the world?
She creates it now and in every moment; if She ceased to create it, it would cease to exist.
23. Where is Dea?
She is in every place at all times.
24. What is the name of Dea?
She has been given many names by many different peoples.
25. Yet are there many goddesses?
No, there is only one Dea.
26. Are there other deities?
There are no other deities.
27. Who are those others that some worship as Deities?
Some are Geniae and beings of the higher spheres (worlds.dimensions); others are keres or mere creatures of illusion.
28. Could Dea have a special relationship with one or more of these higher beings?
She could have no special relationship.
29. What is the reason of this?
Firstly, She alone is uncreated; all other beings are of Her creation, therefore none can exist on Her own level. Secondly, the highest relationship between creature and Deity is that of Perfect Union; this is the final aim of every soul, and no special relationship can be higher than this.
30. What are the powers of Dea?
The powers of Dea are infinite; no thing is impossible to Her.
31. What is the knowledge of Dea?
The knowledge of Dea is infinite; She knows all that is, all that has been, and all that is to come.
III. GOOD AND EVIL
32. What is a moral decision?
A moral decision is a decision between good and evil.
33. What is Absolute Good?
Dea is Absolute Good.
34. What is relative good?
Relative good is a state of moving closer to Dea.
35. What is relative evil?
Relative evil is a state of moving further away from Dea.
36. What is absolute evil?
Absolute evil is the complete absence of Dea.
37. Can absolute evil exist?
Absolute evil cannot exist, for Dea is the essence of existence; therefore a thing completely without Her would have no existence.
38. What is the highest good of all beings?
The highest good of all beings is Perfect Union with Dea.
39. When we speak of moving closer to Dea, do we speak of the material plane or of the spiritual plane?
Of the spiritual plane.
40. What is meant by moving closer to Dea on the spiritual plane?
It means that I become more like our my true self and more in harmony with Her.
41. What do you mean by moving further from Dea on the spiritual plane?
It means that I become more unlike my true self and more out of harmony with Her.
42. What is your true self?
My true self is the perfect expression of a facet of Deity.
43. What is the general nature of your true self?
My true self is a creature (being) of infinite beauty, existing in a state of perfect happiness and in complete harmony with Dea, and subject to no limitations of any kind.
44. What is the particular nature of your true self?
Every facet of Deity is utterly unique, so also are the beings and creatures that express them.
IMPERFECT EXISTENCE: MATTER AND LIMITATION
45. What was your first moral action?
My first moral action was to turn from Dea at the beginning of time.
47. Did you, alone, perform this act?
Many beings performed it.
48. What was the nature of things before this act?
Before this act all things were Perfect Forms or Divine Ideas.
49. What was the nature of all things after this act?
After this act all things became matter that they might have existence apart from Dea.
50. What is matter?
All things below the level of pure spirit are material.
51. Is matter purely physical?
No, matter is both physical and non-physical (rarefied).
52. Is matter evil?
Insofar as matter reflects Divine Ideas it is good; (if it does not reflect Divine Ideas, it is imperfect.)
53. What are the three chief parts of the material or non-spiritial existence which affect us in this world?
The physical, the emotional, and the mental.
54. What is the characteristic of imperfect existence which is absent from perfect existence?
55. What is limitation?
Limitation is the inability of the soul to accomplish her will (on the lowest planes it is the manifest of the scarcity of material resources); it is the source of suffering and of all other evils.
56. What is the source of the evil of limitation?
Separation from Dea is the source of limitation, for Dea is unlimited and so also are all souls in harmony with Her.
THE FOUNDATIONS OF GOOD ACTION
57. Since your first moral act, have you committed others?
Almost every act committed since that time has had a moral character.
58. What is the moral character of a material act?
It is its spiritual quality of good or evil.
59. How is that determined?
It is determined by whether the act is in accordance with the three Primary Virtues.
60. What are the Three Primary Virtues?
They are Life, or Wholeness; Light, or Energy; and Love, or Harmony.
61. Where can we learn of these virtues?
In the book (scriptures) called the Crystal Tablet.
62. What are the five Rules of Life by which we may achieve these virtues?
1. To love the Dea.
2. To love all Her beings and creatures.
3. To love my true self.
4. To seek to make my every act a perfect gift to Her, and to offer to Her all my happiness and all my suffering.
5. To seek to bring all souls closer to Her.
IV. THE QUEST OF THE SOUL
63. Have you lived before this life?
I have lived before.
64. How long have you lived?
I have lived since the beginning of time.
65. Of this, how much can you remember?
I can remember only a little.
66. How long shall you live?
I shall live forever.
67. What will happen when you die?
(If I have lived a good and spiritual life,) I shall go after death into the paradise of the Daughter, called Avala, to rest in happiness.
68. Shall you then inhabit a body?
No, I shall be all soul.
69. What is a soul?
Soul is the spiritual being which is the real ‘I’.
72: Shall all creatures become pure soul after death?
No, those who in life have rejected the spiritual shall retain strong emotional and mental materiality.
73. Shall they keep their material bodies?
No, and having lost them they shall flounder in darkness and confusion.
74. Shall this state last forever?
No, eventually they shall continue on their journey either further from the Mother, or else, turning again to Her.
75. Shall any soul be lost forever?
No, in the fullness of time, every soul shall realize the full horror of evil and shall turn to the Good.
76. Shall you remain forever in Avala?
No, eventually I shall continue my journey toward the Mother.
77. Can your soul approach directly to the Mother?
78. Why is this?
Because, having turned from Her at the beginning of time, I am not absolutely good. Therefore my soul cannot exist in Her presence.
79. In what way then can you approach Deity?
I can approach Her Daughter.
80. How is this so?
Because seeing the plight of humanity, She severed Herself from Her Mother in order that we may come to Her.
81. By what means did She do this?
By Her Descent into the under-world and Her Death.
(And when we speak of the death of the Daughter, we must understand that we are dealing with a highly complex subject. It is not possible for the Daughter to cease to exist (although in a certain symbolic sense the Filianists regard the Hiatus — the day between the years, after the Sacrifice of the Daughter and before Her resurrection at the new year — as a time when She is not); but then it is not possible for any soul to cease to exist. Death is the transition from one state to another, and for the Divinity to enter death is for Her to enter the world of transition — to be bound to samsara, the turning wheel of Werde — descending from the realm of Pure Being to that of becoming.
Thealogically it may be expressed in the form that since the Mother, who is Pure Being, is Life itself, separation from Her is death. : http://www.mother-god.com/taking-on-of-fate.html )
82. Did She Ascend back to the Mother?
Yes, and as She rose, so shall we rise, that we may come to the Mother.
83. And shall the Daughter guide you on your way from Avala?
She is always guiding the soul that turns to Her.
84. What is Ekklesia?
Ekklesia is the body of all souls who are in communion with Dea.
85. Is Ekklesia of this world only?
No, Ekklesia exists on every plane of being.
86. Does Ekklesia include only human souls?
No, Ekklesia includes heras, Janae, and other souls, both incarnate and disincarnate.
87. What are the three ways by which a human soul may enter Ekklesia?
By Charisma, by Initiation, and by Offering.
88. What is the Charismatic entry?
Charismatic entry occurs when a soul, through her devotion, is received by Dea without any earthly Sacrament.
89. What is Initiation?
Initiation is the Sacrament by which Ekklesia receives a mature person.
90. What takes place at this Sacrament?
The initiate dies to the world of matter and is reborn into Ekklesia.
91. What is Offering?
Offering is the ritual by which an infant is offered to Dea and is received into the Ekklesia.
92. Is Offering sufficient for a whole lifetime?
No, the child should later receive her own Initiation.
93. What is the reason for Offering?
It allows the child to enjoy the spiritual benefits of being a member of Ekklesia, helps her to draw closer to Dea, and makes her a member of Her Earthly family from the beginning.
94. What is a Sacrament?
A Sacrament is an act which takes place at once on Earth and in the Pleroma.
95. What is the Pleroma?
The Pleroma is the realm of pure Being where alone an action can attain complete reality.
96. What is Communion?
Communion is the Sacrament through which initiates of Ekklesia nourish their souls by union with Dea. *
97. How often should a (devotee) take Communion?
If possible, a devotee should take Communion regularly. She must take Communion at least on each Major Festival unless prevented by extreme difficulty (or if a priestess is not in the area.)
98. Who can celebrate Communion?
Only a (validly) ordained priestess can celebrate Communion.
What is a priestess?
A priestess is a maid chosen by Dea to serve Her earthly children.
100. How does a maid become a priestess?
Either by Charisma or by Initiation. (Charisma is not accepted within the Janite Tradition unless there are extraordinary circumstances.)
101. Is the Initiation of a priestess a Sacrament?
The initiation of a priestess is a Sacrament.
102. What are the two duties of a priestess?
1. To transmit the Power of Dea through the Sacraments and other rituals.
2. To have care of the souls of Her children in devotional and other matters.
103. What is the Sacrifice?
The Sacrifice is an act of devotion to Dea.
104. Is the Sacrifice a Sacrament?
The Sacrifice is not a Sacrament.
105. How often must a (devotee) make Sacrifice?
A (devotee) must make Sacrifice or take Communion at least on every Natural Rite unless prevented by extreme difficulty.
THE CULT DOMESTICA
106. What is the Cult Domestic?
The Cult Domestic is the whole religious life of a (Madrian/Filianic/Orthodox Deanic) household (hestia) centering upon a regular domestic Sacrifice.
107. Who shall celebrate the Sacrifice?
The spiritual head of household (hestia) shall celebrate the Sacrifice.
108. Who is the spiritual head of the household (hestia)?
Either the mother, or else the temporal matriarch, or any other maid who has made a solemn undertaking to act as spiritual head of her household.
109. Who shall celebrate if she is absent?
Either her eldest daughter, or any other maid whom she has chosen to act as her surrogate. (If a female of age is not present, the eldest male may celebrate).
110. What is an (hestia)? *
(An hestia, or sacred hearth, is an home that has been blessed and consecrated to Dea.) (The original answer had to do with the now extant Madrian households.)
111. Should the Cult Domestic replace the Communion of Ekklesia?
The Cult Domestic should never replace the Communion of Ekklesia unless there is no practicing priestess in the area.
112. How shall you preserve the spiritual health of your soul?
By rejecting the false materialistic values of the world, and seeking to live in gentleness, generosity, and innocence.
113. How should you amend the faults of your soul?
By repentance and true devotion.
114. What is prayer?
Prayer is a personal communication with Dea.
115. What is the importance of prayer?
Prayer is the breath of my spiritual life.
116. When should you pray?
I should pray frequently, but at least morning and each night. (Janites pray three times a day: at Aurora, Noontide and Evensong.)
117. What is Morning Prayer (Aurora)
Morning prayer, an offering of the day’s events to Dea and asking of Her blessing upon them.
(117 B for Janites): What is Noontide
Noontide are short prayers at noon or, at least, a lifting of our hearts and thoughts towards Dea, to tell Her that we are mindful of Her during the day and that we love Her.
118. What is night prayer? (Evensong)
Night prayer is a return to full contemplation of Dea at the end of the day.
119. Should prayer be a mere repeating of words?
No, prayer should be a bringing of the whole being to Dea.
120. What are the other chief forms of personal devotion?
Meditation upon Dea and Her Mysteries and saying the Rosary.
121. How should you end your devotions?
By tracing (the Fora) upon myself.
122: (Who are the Janae?
The Janae are known as the Seven Living, Intelligent Rays of Dea from Whom flow the Seven Streams of Life. )